Most of the recipes that I share on the blog are things I grew up eating, but some stem from a craving. This roasted butternut squash and lentil dish falls into the latter camp. It’s something that I’ve been eating a lot of lately.
Roasted Butternut Squash with lentils is a very simple vegetarian side dish that celebrates the winter squash and the addition of lentils makes it hearty. Butternut squash is roasted to perfection to bring out its natural sweetness, tossed simply with fresh sage, olive oil, salt, and pepper. The sage leaves crisp up in the oven which adds a great texture.
I use small whole green lentils which are cooked just till they are soft but not mushy. If you are short on time, precooked lentils will work great here. The cooked lentils are dressed with red wine vinegar to add brightness and tons of fresh herbs to add freshness. Fresh dates are tossed in at the end to enhance the sweetness of the squash.
You can easily customize this recipe by replacing the butternut squash with other squashes such as acorn or delicata squash. To make this dish more into a salad, add kale, spinach, or even mixed greens. To make it into a more filling dinner, just add cooked quinoa or other grains. The possibilities are endless, so get as creative as you’d like.
Roasted butternut squash with lentils is great served warm, but even tastes great the next day. This makes for a delicious side for the holidays or alongside warm pita bread as a light meal.
Thank you for reading! If you enjoy my recipes, please subscribe to my free newsletter, so you never miss a recipe. Please follow me on Instagram or Pinterest. . If you make this recipe, I would love to know! Tag me on Instagram@cookeatlaugh and #cookeatlaughblog
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||45 minutes|
- 1 large butternut squash halved, seeds removed, and sliced into 1/2 inch thick moons
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cups sage leaves finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup green lentils rinse under cold water
- 3 cups cold water
- 1/4 cup mint finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro or parsley finely chopped
- 1/4 cups dill finely chopped
- 3 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 5-6 fresh dates finely chopped
- Salt to taste
Roasted Butternut Squash
Lentils and fresh herbs
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees Place the cut squash on large baking tray. Toss the squash with olive oil, salt and pepper, and sage leaves. Roast till fully cooked and golden brown about 20-25 minutes. Remove the squash from the oven and let it cool.
- While the squash is roasting, In a medium sauce pan add the rinsed lentils and water. Bring the lentils to a boil on high heat. Once it is come to a boil, lower the heat, cover, and let lentils simmer for 20 minutes or till tender but not mushy.
- Once lentils are done, drain them, and let them cool. Put them in large bowl, season to taste, add red wine vinegar, olive oil, herbs, and dates. Add the roasted squash to the bowl of lentils and gently toss everything together.
- Transfer to a larger platter and serve warm.
Leave a Reply